A Typical or Atypical Pastor's Wife-whichever one you come to believe



Welcome to the barnyard. Watch your step! The things written here are raw and unedited. Just my thoughts thrown on a page as they flow from my heart.



Monday, March 4, 2013

Footprints



Footprints. I'm thinking about footprints today.  There are animal footprints, carbon footprints, footprints in the sand, and on this particular morning, at least for me, ice footprints.  They were the product of people walking on the snow and ice before  it was plowed.  They left perfect footprints that were 1/8-1/4 inch thick protruding up from the sidewalk.  I literally walked to work on someone else's footprints.  Once or twice my shoe caught on the edge of one and caused me to stumble.  Others caused me to slip if I stepped on them just right.  But by the time I left work in the early evening, the footprints had disappeared, melted away by the afternoon sun  and some salt. 

It reminded me that our walk through life is a brief one.  Scripture tells me that I am like grass "and all my glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall."  

These ice footprints were very much like those flowers and life is very  much like those footprints.  They were noticeable in the morning and totally gone by afternoon.  We don't have a lot of time to make an impact in life.  We must treasure and be a good steward of every moment.  Quite honestly I cringe when I think of the amount of time that I just let slip by when I was younger but now that I am past the mid-way point of life, I take things more seriously.  I'm trying to focus on things that matter and to have a positive impact on those I have the privilege of knowing.  I'm trying to leave footprints that are desirable to follow and easy to walk in. 

Is what I'm leaving behind on this path of life easy to walk in?  Is it desirable?  I take care to make sure that my footprints are not causing others to stumble or fall along the way.  I pray that my life is not so protrusive that it is catching on others trying to walk the same path and causing them to slip or fall.  Frankly, had I fallen on that sidewalk, it could have had life changing implications depending on what part of me hit the concrete first.  I pray that nothing I leave behind in this life will cause devastation for another.

Our Master, Jesus, left big footprints to follow.  John tells us that if we abide in him, we ought to walk in the same manner as He walked.  Paul instructs us to "walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God..."  Fortunately that is not too tall a bill to fill.  God has provided us a "helper" in the indwelling Holy Spirit.  We are without excuse. 

So today I will look to God as my one and only resource.  I will walk in His footsteps and as I do, my prints will disappear inside of His and He will be glorified.   In doing this  I can "walk worthy of the God who calls me into His own kingdom and glory."  As  I deposit on this earth what Christ has deposited in me, my legacy is secured and the inheritance that I leave will help others and bring glory to God.


  


.

No comments:

Post a Comment