A Typical or Atypical Pastor's Wife-whichever one you come to believe



Welcome to the barnyard. Watch your step! The things written here are raw and unedited. Just my thoughts thrown on a page as they flow from my heart.



Saturday, January 19, 2013

Sometimes The Small Things Mean So Much

On Friday, I spent about an hour in Psalms.  I'm noticing that the Psalms are often written in bunches that all address the same idea.  I happened to be in the 70's-90's which talk a lot about the presence of the Lord that is with His people.  After reading I prayed and ask the Lord to help me to be mindful all day of His presence and the pleasure He finds in being with me.  (This I still do not fully comprehend.  An almighty God finding pleasure in my company.  His great love can be the only explanation.)

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a little ornery, in a fun loving kind of way.  It's not unusual to have soft objects flying around the living room when we are all sitting there together whether it be the pom-pom balls or the soft plastic balls from my grandson's toys, marshmallows that will never find their way into a cup of hot chocolate, or even a stray M&M or two.  We've kind of calmed down from the no holds barred-hide behind furniture- Nerf gun battles we used to have.

So I can appreciate a little fun loving ornery-ness coming my way from others.  As I walked from the bus stop to the building where I work, I thanked God that the wind was not blowing that day.  Usually I have a stiff, chilly headwind to contend with.  Just as I crossed the street and started up the sidewalk to my office a clump of snow fell from a tree and hit me squarely on top of the head.  As I looked up to see what had caused it, I just felt a little tickle inside, like I do when our family is all together in the living room throwing things when others are not looking and it reminded me of my prayer that morning. I just knew then that God was letting me know that He had heard and answered my prayer and I spent the day basking in His presence and pleasure, just as I had asked.

This may seem silly to you, but it was very real to me.  I find that God often communicates and interacts with me in a way that I can totally identify with.  He did create me so that we could have fellowship with one another.  He is perfectly capable and willing to relate to me in such a way that makes perfect sense to me. After all, my personality was His idea!   It was a small, silly clump of snow but it meant so much to me because it came from His hand just to remind me that He was pleased to be with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment