A Typical or Atypical Pastor's Wife-whichever one you come to believe



Welcome to the barnyard. Watch your step! The things written here are raw and unedited. Just my thoughts thrown on a page as they flow from my heart.



Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thankful-Day 20 (The Alternate Universe)

There is a show on the sportsman's network that we always tease our youngest son about by saying that it is his t.v. show.  It's called "Out There T.V."  You see, our youngest son is very creative, random, and unique and you just never really know where he is coming from or where he is going with something.  We have, through the years, seriously pondered the question "is he even human or did aliens invade his body and take over?"  LOL!  And because he's 16 (that age when adults know nothing and teens know everything), we struggle to know what alternate universe he is a part of because he totally misses the reality of this one on a regular basis.  This causes him to make some pretty odd and sometimes disturbing choices.

The past few weeks have seen some very disturbing, unsettling things happening around the globe.   Even non-spiritual people are wondering "What in the world is going on?"  World events are shaping up in such a way that people are worrying.  Many are preparing for the great Apocalypse,  even though they don't know what that is.  Some think it will come in the form of disease, others believe it will be a nuclear holocaust, civil war or an extreme natural disaster.  Reality shows like Doomsday Preppers and organizations formed to promote and supply underground shelters, bug-out bags, and extended food/survival supplies are popping up all over!  People are seeing the handwriting on the wall and endeavoring to prepare for the unseen that they feel is looming in the near future.  I just wish that they would take as much thought, preparation and care with their spiritual lives.

For the Christian, an alternate universe is already our reality.  We are "not of this world".  Yes, we live in it but we are not "of it".  Thank the Lord!  Yes, we suffer along with the rest of the world in many ways.  We are not strangers to calamity, sorrow, pain, or suffering nor  are we exempt from them.  In the end, what we endured on this earth is not what will matter, but rather, how we endured it.

Today I am thankful that when this present universe gets too overwhelming I can instantly remember that this is not my reality.  My reality lies within the universe of God's Word.  It is a universe that supersedes any and all that happens in this one.  It is also a universe that can overcome this one both on a personal and a more broad level.  God's reality lifts me above the things of this earth's reality.  It allows me to see more clearly and completely so that I can have a greater understanding of what I am experiencing in this one.  It offers wisdom on how to live while I'm here and gives me peace in knowing that the troubling things of this world are temporary.  There is coming a day when the world will be at complete peace because the Prince of Peace is coming in great power and glory to establish His kingdom on earth.  But for me, I am already a citizen of that Kingdom of peace and rest.  While the world roars and whirls all around me, my King has spoken "peace, be still" to the storm and it does not touch me.  My heart is at peace.  Truly I can sing:

"When peace like a river attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, God has taught me to say
It is well, it is well with my soul."

No comments:

Post a Comment