A Typical or Atypical Pastor's Wife-whichever one you come to believe



Welcome to the barnyard. Watch your step! The things written here are raw and unedited. Just my thoughts thrown on a page as they flow from my heart.



Wednesday, September 12, 2012

When The Good Life Slaps You In The Face

While perusing face book this morning, I read a comment made by a friend in response to a status posted by one of her friends.  I rarely do this because who has time to read statuses of people you don't even know?  I surely don't and I don't even remember why I clicked on it, it may have been an accident because I often click on things I don't mean to because my laptop is so touchy and I haven't figured out yet how to fix it. 

Anyway the good life I enjoy as a blessing and provision of God just kind of slapped me in the face this morning and reminded me how blessed I am when I read this:


"Got wonderful news in _________ today,,,Back pain is not coming from tumors,,,More likely MS which I can live with....No chemo for awhile...Praise God;;;;I am so pleased.Thank you all for thoughts and prayers"

Wonderful news???  WONDERFUL NEWS???  "Most likely MS which I can live with"???  What a perspective this woman has on life!  

And then, there was this one from a fellow Pastor's wife.  She and her Pastor hubby took their boys to college in another city.  While there her husband got sick so they took him to the emergency room.  They have discovered that he has an acute type of leukemia that is sort of rare, so they are still at the hospital while he gets chemotherapy to try to keep his body from dumping too many white blood cells into his bloodstream which would restrict  his red blood cells from getting the oxygen his body needs where it needs to go.  


"How about a praise, I got a real nights sleep last night! ___ is still feeling not too bad from the chemo. My sister is coming and it is a new day"

I only have to say that there is a grace in the lives of these two women that is powerful!  I've experienced this same grace in dire situations, some as serious as what these women are facing.  What I don't understand is why don't I experience this grace in my life when the most serious thing I face is a broken washing machine or I run over my cell phone with a couple thousand pound mower? (Yes, I did that today!) LOL!  Is God's grace more powerful one day than the next?  Does He reserve "special grace" for those days when we need it more, when we're facing things way bigger than normal?  

I don't think so.  I think that His grace is always the same to all of us all the time.  He does not change!  The key to how much grace we experience is not based on what He has to offer at any given moment but more on how much we take and receive from Him at any given moment.    


John 1:16
For of His fullness we have all received, and grace upon grace.

Ephesians 4:7

But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift.


Imagine!  We have received from His FULLNESS!  Do we really know how much that is?  Each of us have received according to the measure of Christ's gift!  The measure of Christ's gift!  And what a gift that is!  His life, His holy Blood, the power of His Resurrection!  It is all ours!  Everyday!



Hebrews 4:16
Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need

It is there, waiting for us to come and receive!  He has set the table before us and invites us to come and take!  
2 Timothy 2:1
[ Be Strong ] You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus

How does it manifest in the life of a believer?  I think these two ladies are a perfect example!  I don't know anyone who wants to be in their position, but to be in their position means to experience the fullness of the grace of God.  I think that it almost makes what they're going through worth it.  I've experienced this to be true in my own life.  

And yet, sometimes I quickly forget this grace that is available and allow the little irritations, the inconveniences, and the molehills of life to seem like a mountain.  The disciples of Jesus were like this as well.  Four times in Luke he rebuked them for this same thing and He called it "unbelief".  

"Lord, forgive me for the times when I allow unbelief to crowd out the grace that you have so abundantly provided for me every minute, every hour, every day of my life.  Let me live in the awareness of Your powerful grace, your overpowering peace, and your unfailing love.  Then I will be a witness to the world of all there is to be found in you.  Today I come and receive.  Like a child in a candy shop, let me grab the biggest and the most that I possibly can.  Then I can truly LIVE and realize how good the life you have given me is.  And I will be thankful, oh so thankful for all the goodness and blessing that I enjoy because of what you have provided!"   In Jesus name, Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment