A Typical or Atypical Pastor's Wife-whichever one you come to believe



Welcome to the barnyard. Watch your step! The things written here are raw and unedited. Just my thoughts thrown on a page as they flow from my heart.



Monday, May 21, 2012

Milkshakes for breakfast

One morning not long ago, while discovering the world of smoothies, my daughter brought me her newest concoction as I was sitting in bed reading my morning devotions.  It was then that I realized that she doesn't know the difference between a smoothie and a milkshake.


As I looked at her "smoothie", I saw a thick layer of fat-laden ice cream floating on top.  "This isn't a smoothie, this is a milkshake", I told her.  "It's okay Mom, it's healthy for you.  It has milk and strawberries in it.  Those are healthy for you!", she said.    Realistically speaking, milk and strawberries are very good for you, so I drank it and enjoyed the creamy smoothness of the fat-laden drink.


If only we would look at what God brings to our plate the same way my daughter looks at her brand of smoothie.  So many times we look at God as one who will only feed us a balanced ration of meat, vegetables and fruit-just the right amount and not bit too much or too little.   Forget dessert and especially fat-laden ice cream!  We spiritualize it by saying that He feed us just enough to keep us a little hungry and wanting more.


When in truth God brings us strawberries "smoothies" for breakfast everyday.  Full of nutrients, but on the top is a thick layer of fat-laden yumminess for us to enjoy!


He is a God of abundance.  He does not know the word "sparingly".


When Abraham, our covenant father prayed the prayer of blessing over Issac in Genesis 27:28, he didn't pray that God would just give him what he needed and no more.  He prayed abundance in every area of his life.  How could he pray this?  Because this was the God he knew.  


"Now may God give you of the dew of heaven,
And of the fatness of the earth,
And an abundance of grain and new wine;"
When we look to Jehovah Jireh, what do we expect to receive from Him?  Do we see him as the one who blesses with fatness and abundance?  Do we know the same God that Abraham knew or is our God a little more strict, a little more conservative that his?  We only get what we expect and believe for by faith.  What kind of God do you have?


The father of the prodigal son told his older son, "...all I have is yours!"  That is what God says to us.  We are His family, His sons and daughters and God is saying  to us "all I have is your!"    God gave us "all" so that we could be blessed both here and in eternity!
Luke 18:29-31

29 And He said to them, “Truly I say to you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, 30 who will not receive many times as much at this time and in the age to come, eternal life.”31  Then He took the twelve aside and said to them, “Behold,we are going up to Jerusalem, and all things which are written through the prophets about the Son of Man will be accomplished.


When I came to Christ, I left this world in my heart, so today I can expect goodness, abundance and blessing from God, as long as I obey His commands and keep my heart completely devoted to Him.   






No comments:

Post a Comment