A Typical or Atypical Pastor's Wife-whichever one you come to believe



Welcome to the barnyard. Watch your step! The things written here are raw and unedited. Just my thoughts thrown on a page as they flow from my heart.



Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Little Disappointed and ALOT Punchy!

I had a little disappointment today.  I am currently looking for full-time work.  My body is having trouble keeping up with a house, church work and a full and a half time lawn business.  I'm not getting any younger, you know!  There was a sweet job at the local university that I was praying for.  Never did feel a certainty about it though, but I would have been perfect for it!  Evidently God didn't feel that it would be perfect for me.  It was in the basketball recruiting office as an administrative assistant working primarily with the recruits and their families.  It required someone with good people skills--check!  I think it would help that I actually played NCAA basketball in college with a very reputable team.  It also couldn't hurt that one of my children and my husband graduated from the university.  And the office work is no sweat for me since I managed files for over 2000 missionaries in one job, managed 225 volunteers in another and have owned my own successful small business for the last 8 years while managing a house, four kids, homeschooling, a Pastor (well, I manage his laundry, his diet-or lack thereof,  go with him to counseling appointments sometimes and handle counseling appointments for him sometimes).  But, alas, I didn't even get an interview.  I would have loved being back on campus, around the students, working with people instead of rubbing shoulders with smelly, loud machinery all day.  After I worked there a year, my sons could attend and get a huge tuition break, I could go back to school myself, and my hubby was hoping for season tickets to the basketball games!  LOL!  Sorry to disappoint you honey!

Many would say to me, "well, it's really hard to get into the university unless you know someone. You just have to keep trying.  It takes about a year and you just have to apply for everything!!"  Believe me, I know about that.  My whole desktop is full of PDF cover letter files that say "job #?????.  If I have to write one more time that I'm deatiled oreented, I'm gonna scream!  LOL!  Why do they even put that in a job ad??  What else would you want?  I've never read an ad that said "must be sloppy and inattentive!"

 About now, I'm getting a little creative in my cover letter writing knowing that sooner or later, one of them will catch someones eye.  I'm half tempted to just submit a letter that says:

HEY!  I'M A TALENTED PERSON WHO IS HONEST, WITH AN EXCELLENT WORK ETHIC, WHO IS FRIENDLY AND EASY TO GET ALONG WITH THAT NEEDS A JOB!  I CAN LEARN ANYTHING YOU NEED ME TO LEARN -(except chemistry),  I'LL ACTUALLY SHOW UP TO WORK!  I'LL TAKE CARE OF YOUR STUFF!  I'LL GO THE EXTRA MILE OR MILES-WHATEVER IT TAKES!  I'LL WORK MY TAIL OFF FOR YOU, I'LL BE A POSITIVE ADDITION TO YOUR OFFICE AND I'LL BRING THE BLESSING OF GOD WITH ME CAUSE I'M HIS KID AND HE CAN'T HELP HIMSELF......IF YOU'LL JUST GIVE ME SOME WORK!!!!!!

Not sure that would work, but it sure did feel good typing it in all caps!

I once considered standing along the main highway with a sign saying "Will Work!", but then realized that it might be misconstrued the wrong way and decided against it!  Do I sound desperate?

  As I thought about this whole process, I got a little silly.

There's a commercial on t.v. where a guy was spending too much money on on-line dating service fees so he tried a karaoke bar where he sang "check me out, I have a  pleasant disposition and friends love my spinach dip.  5' 10, ....blah, blah, blah......My sign is Sagittarius, I'm into Spanish cheese, my hairline is receding but I'm getting a weave.....GETTING A WEAVE!?"  No matter how many times I see it, it makes me giggle.  But it's inspired me too!

So I've spent some time thinking about submitting a video cover letter that would go something like this:

Check me out...
I've managed to raise four kids and stay happy with one man for almost 30 years
My graying head speaks plainly of maturity- that I'm not wet behind the ears
I'll actually show up for work
And remember who is boss
According to my husband, if you don't hire me,  it's your loss!  YEP, IT'S YOUR LOSS!
So how bout giving me a chance?

Okay, now that I've got all that off my chest, there are a few things I DO know-for sure!

~I may not know someone, but I DO know GOD!  And He knows I need a job!  And He can open doors I could never open even if I knew a million someones.  What's better is that HE WILL!

~I am all those things I said above-but only by His grace in my life!  Thing is, He just keeps pouring grace upon grace upon grace onto me, so eventually someone is going to be thrilled that they hired me and I'm going to be happy in my work while I let that grace spill out onto all those I work with!  I can't wait.  I gave it my best shot, but my mower just doesn't respond when I try to strike up a conversation!  My hubby once said that I'm the only person that he knows of who could have a conversation with an inanimate object, but this mower has been hardened like steel and won't respond!  LOL! Sorry!  That was really lame!

~I know that if God is for me, nothing and no one can stand against me!

~I know that God will supply above and beyond ALL that I could ask or think-even about a basketball job!

 It's amazing at how quickly your heart rate drops and your countenance lifts when you think on these things!

Okay!  I feel so much better now.  Thanks for listening!







1 comment:

  1. Love it! And I hated laughing at your disappointing job search. I've been looking for quite some time now myself. I read a quote not too long ago and wish I'd saved it. It said something like, "It doesn't matter if you lack money and connections. What matters is that you're God's child, and whatever He has for you already has your name written on it."

    ReplyDelete