A Typical or Atypical Pastor's Wife-whichever one you come to believe



Welcome to the barnyard. Watch your step! The things written here are raw and unedited. Just my thoughts thrown on a page as they flow from my heart.



Monday, February 27, 2012

"Random" Acts Of Kindness





I love to knit!  I am rarely ever idle so even when I'm sitting in front of the t.v. relaxing  I have to be busy doing something other than staring mindlessly at the t.v. screen.  So I knit.  I've been knitting for 26 years and in all those years, I have never once knitted one thing for myself-not one thing.  I did get a sweater by accident once because the person I knit it for is someone I hadn't seen in awhile and they lost a bunch of weight so the sweater was way too big.  They sent it back knowing that I could probably wear it, which I did for awhile, even though it didn't fit me as perfectly as I would have liked.  I had decided that the next thing I knit would be something for me.  I picked a sweater that has a lot of forgiving qualities just in case I didn't get the gauge right and I would sit and read and re-read the instructions so that when I did finally get yarn, I would be ready to start.


This is the sweater I am knitting but I'm making it in black.  I hesitate to show this because now my friends will know if it doesn't turn out right! LOL!






Christmas left me yarn-less.  Every time I would sit down in my chair I would say to my husband "I'm in the mood to knit, but I don't have any yarn to knit with!"  (You see, I'm not part of the YHA-translated Yarn Hoarders of America whose motto is "the person with the most yarn when they die wins".  I use up all my scraps making things for charity or some of my "smaller" friends.)  


I think my hubby finally felt sorry for me because he understands the feeling of wanting to go to the shooting range and not having any ammunition or wanting to re-load and not having any bullets or primers or powder.   So one day, out of the blue, he just said to me, "go to Michaels and get yourself some yarn".   I LOVE my hubby!  He's the best!


So that afternoon found me in Michaels walking through the yarn section touching every skein, hand knitting it through my fingers to get an idea of what it would look like, looking for the perfect color and dreaming of all the things that yarn could create.  I do that quite often.  Some call it window shopping, I call it "coveting". LOL!  I go to the store and "covet" all the yarn they have on the shelves!  LOL!  But this day, I actually had money in my wallet to buy something!!!  I was so happy!


After shopping for a little while I filled my arms to overflowing with yarn and was waddling up through the store to pay for my purchase trying not to drop anything and kind of hurrying because I was afraid there would be a yarn explosion at any moment if one of the skeins moved from it's precarious position!!  All of the sudden I heard a voice behind me that said "Excuse me."  I stopped and turned to see an employee of the store behind me with a white envelope in her hand. She said,  "today at Michael's we are celebrating 'Random Acts of Kindness' day so I'm giving you this gift card that will take $5.00 off your purchase."  "Oh, WOW!  Thank you", I said.


Between my member discount, the yarn sale, and the "random" gift card, I saved a considerable amount of money on my purchase which made it all that more sweet!


I almost skipped from joy to the car.  As I got in the car I thought to myself, of all the people in that store she could have picked, she picked me.  It made me feel pretty special.  I even called my hubby to tell him that I had been the victim of a random act of kindness!  As I drove home I pondered my good fortune and a thought came to my mind.  As a child of God, nothing that happens to me is "random".  All of the sudden, I felt even more happy as I realized that God had laid it on that woman's heart to give ME that card and I realized that God's favor is never random!  He is very particular about blessing us!  And he knew just what would make me happy that day.


The Bible tells me that" EVERY good and perfect gift comes down from the Father of lights in who is no variance nor shadow of turning.  EVERY good thing in my life is a result of either the mercy or the favor of God.  I looked up the word :favor" and this is what I found.

"For His anger is but for a moment, 
His favor is for a lifetime..."


"For it is You who blesses the righteous man, O LORD, You surround him with favor as with a shield."



"Let Your work appear to Your servants
And Your majesty to their children.
 Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us;
And confirm for us the work of our hands;
Yes, confirm the work of our hands."

"A good man will obtain favor from the LORD, But He will condemn a man who devises evil."

"The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life,

"To turn aside from the snares of death.

Good understanding produces favor,

But the way of the treacherous is hard.

Every prudent man acts with knowledge,

But a fool displays folly."


One of the benefits of being made righteous through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ is that the favor of God resides on you, just as it did on Christ.  I really hadn't thought much about this before but my experience at the store made me ponder.  So I set my mind at that moment to listen to the teaching of the wise so that I will have good understanding so that I can believe, by faith,  that God's favor is with me wherever I go and to expect through faith that I will see it.  Something about that mindset just automatically sets you up for a good day!

And most of all, to take the time to thank God for every good thing that was in my life and that happened to me. If God knows when a hair falls off my head, He certainly controls what comes into my life as well.  I receive from God through faith, so by believing that God's favor is upon my life, I will receive much more of His favor.  He is a good father and desires to bless His children with as much blessing as is possible to give them.  That coupled with the abundant mercy that He has already shown me and continues to show on a daily basis makes me one blessed woman!  That just makes me feel pretty special!

No comments:

Post a Comment