A Typical or Atypical Pastor's Wife-whichever one you come to believe



Welcome to the barnyard. Watch your step! The things written here are raw and unedited. Just my thoughts thrown on a page as they flow from my heart.



Thursday, January 19, 2012

Our Remembering Forgetting God

Life has a way of causing us to always think about what's coming next.  We find ourselves strategizing, planning, saving, and striving to reach some point that is ahead of us.  Normally I would say that this is a good thing.  It's good to be proactive and prepared and I'm a big one for "forgetting those things which are behind and pressing ahead.." but...it's also good to remember those things that are already passed.

When I get discouraged with my daughter's progress in recovering her life from brain injury because I get to looking at all the things she still can't do or at how she is so different from other kids her age, and I start to strategize at how I'm going to help her find gainful employment, or I think about her future spouse or if she will ever marry, and I wonder who will help oversee her when I'm no longer able to do so, well, it is just very easy to be overwhelmed!  But when I look back to where she was after her initial injury, what the doctors said was possible and how far above and beyond she has gone, it gives me strength to continue on knowing that the same God who got us this far will get us the rest of the way.

In the last few days, I've had many opportunities to look back at my spiritual roots and to remember a lot of "firsts" in my Christian walk and I've once again experienced the wonder, the awe, the amazement and the grace that was present the first time.

Most of the time we focus on God forgetting.  He forgets our sins and our transgressions after he declares us not guilty and cleanses us of the stain of them.  He forgets our failures and weaknesses too and when figuring out our worth, they do not come into play in His mind.  But God is also a great remember-er as well.

Genesis 9:15
I will [earnestly] remember My covenant or solemn pledge which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters will no more become a flood to destroy and make all flesh corrupt.


Genesis 19:29
When God ravaged and destroyed the cities of the plain [of Siddim], He [earnestly] remembered Abraham [imprinted and fixed him indelibly on His mind], and He sent Lot out of the midst of the overthrow when He overthrew the cities where Lot lived.


Jeremiah 2:2
Go and cry in the ears of Jerusalem, saying, Thus says the Lord: I [earnestly] remember the kindness and devotion of your youth, your love after your betrothal [in Egypt] and marriage [at Sinai] when you followed Me in the wilderness, in a land not sown.



From these three verses we find that He remembers His covenant and works to keep every word of it.  He remembers his people.  He knows exactly where we are, what is going on and where we need to be and then takes whatever step He needs to take in order to get us there.  He remembers the good things about our relationship with Him instead of allowing everything that is wrong about it to influence His feelings toward us.  Oh, if we, as humans could learn to do this, it would make such a big difference in our marriages, our families, in our relationship with God, and in the church.


God's desire is for us to push ahead, run the race, fight the fight and keep our eyes on the prize ahead.  Sometimes, in order to do that, we need to look back and remember from whence we came.  You see understanding our origin and how we began helps us to understand ourselves and when we have an accurate understanding of ourselves, we can be honest with ourselves and God and we can push ahead, run the race and fight the fight until we obtain the prize because we can see that our beginnings are what give us the DNA to do it!!!  We've been hardwired for victory through the indwelling of the Holy Ghost!


Ephesians 2:10-12

Amplified Bible (AMP)

10For we are God's [own] handiwork (His workmanship), recreated in Christ Jesus, [born anew] that we may do those good works which God predestined (planned beforehand) for us [taking paths which He prepared ahead of time], that we should walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us to live].
11Therefore, remember that at one time you were Gentiles (heathens) in the flesh, called Uncircumcision by those who called themselves Circumcision, [itself a mere mark] in the flesh made by human hands.
12[Remember] that you were at that time separated (living apart) from Christ [excluded from all part in Him], utterly estranged and outlawed from the rights of Israel as a nation, and strangers with no share in the sacred compacts of the [Messianic] promise [with no knowledge of or right in God's agreements, His covenants]. And you had no hope (no promise); you were in the world without God.


I love this next verse!  God is writing a "book of remembrance"  of those who fear Him and talk often of Him.  He wants to remember and record the words of those who reverenced, meditated on, worshiped and feared His name.

Malachi 3:16
Then those who feared the Lord talked often one to another; and the Lord listened and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before Him of those who reverenced and worship fully feared the Lord and who thought on His name.


Lord, I pray that the book of remembrance you are writing or my life will a thick one!  That I will talk often of you, extol you, magnify you, witness of you, fear you, reverence you, worship and fear you.  May my life, my thoughts, my words and my actions all speak of the glories of you!  May the works that you prepared for me to walk in be a testament of you're calling me out of sin and into the light and manifest the power of the cross of Jesus Christ!  May I never forget!  May I always look back and remember from whence you brought me and may my life always reflect the gratitude and thanksgiving due you for Your marvelous work and deeds in my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment