A Typical or Atypical Pastor's Wife-whichever one you come to believe



Welcome to the barnyard. Watch your step! The things written here are raw and unedited. Just my thoughts thrown on a page as they flow from my heart.



Tuesday, September 20, 2011

God, You Really Didn't Mean "ALL", Did You?

Do all things without grumbling or disputing; 15 so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world, 16 holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain.

These words from Philippians have been following me around for days.  We are to do "ALL" things without grumbling or disputing.  Most of the time I love the "alls" of the Bible, especially "He forgives ALL our sins and heals ALL our disease", but this one presents me with a challenge.  

I am to wash every dish, clean every bathroom, run every errand, navigate every inconvenience, solve every problem, handle every relationship and work every job without grumbling or disputing.  Why?

I am to appear as a light to the world!

Grumblers cannot shine! Grumbling dulls my light, fogging and clouding it to the point that no one around me can see the light that resides in me! What good am I in ministry if I am not shining? What good am I to the world if I am not shining?  If I am not a light, of what use am I to God? 

It takes light to see. My light, when it is shining, reveals the true nature of God.  It warms, it melts, and it defines all the desirable attributes of a loving God. 

Light in darkness draws things to itself.  A fire's light draws those that are cold to it's side and it's warmth provides them a sense of comfort and security. 

Last year, I planted a garden in the back yard.  The plants did not grow very fast so consequently they did not produce much, if any fruit.  There wasn't enough light.  Without light, nothing can grow. 

We are to be a light unto the world shining as a lighthouse beacon helping those traveling through life to avoid disaster, providing warmth and sight to those lost in the wilderness of life.

Grumbling and disputing douses the fire, hides the sight-giving light, and presents a cold and uncaring, callous God.  It causes us to act and react just as the world so why would they want what we have when it appears that we live in darkness just as they do? 

God has provided us grace to live above the situations of life so that we don't react the same way that the world does.  That's what makes us shine.  That's what causes us to burn with a fire that draws men in from the cold, finds the lost and the frightened and draws them to it's warmth.

We are commanded to shine in ALL situations!

Being  a light is not a hard thing.  Light bulbs do not strain to shine.  They just allow the power that flows into them to light them up.

If it wasn't possible, God wouldn't have commanded it.

It's something to think about.



No comments:

Post a Comment