A Typical or Atypical Pastor's Wife-whichever one you come to believe



Welcome to the barnyard. Watch your step! The things written here are raw and unedited. Just my thoughts thrown on a page as they flow from my heart.



Wednesday, September 15, 2010

As Christ Loved the Church--Hubby's September Valentine

Scripture instructs husbands to love their wives as "Christ loved the church and gave Himself for it."  That's a pretty tall order!  I know that a lot of emphasis is put on the love that Christ has for us and I believe it, but sometimes when we think about Christ's love for us, we can tend to apply value to our lives where we shouldn't.  Christ doesn't love us because of us.  We were not worth anything when Christ came to earth in human flesh. 

So what was His motivation?  I think that Christ loved the Father so much that He was willing to do anything to please the Father.  Because God loved us--which is a whole other mystery--Jesus loved us too.  Jesus often spoke of His relationship with the Father while here on earth.  He also alluded to it in His prayer for the church in John 17.  His heart's desire was that we would experience the kind of relationship with God that He had Himself. 

I don't quite know how to separate the fact that Jesus and God and the Spirit are one and how that relates to them loving each other.  I do think that they do love each other because Jesus came to be an exact representation of the Father and the Spirit also works to reveal Christ.  Christ then leads us to the Father. 

Of all the people I know, I don't know anyone that loves the Lord like my hubby does.  I'm sure there are people who do, but I don't live with them and that's really the only way someone could tell.  I watch how he lives.  I see and benefit from his constant selflessness as he works and prays and guides our family.  I see how he bears up under the pressures of having four children, pastoring a small church and having to work another job besides.  I'm sure at times it must be very hard for him, but he never complains.  I believe that even when there are times when he would be tempted to have regrets about things that have made his life hard, he perseveres and for the most part, without a word, just as Jesus did.  With all that Jesus must have known about his future, with all that He experienced on the earth, especially with relationships, he said very little until it was the perfect time.  My hubby is like that.  He does all that he does to please the Lord, even when he experiences difficulties in other earthly duties.  He doesn't burden others.  He only shares what he needs to, when he needs to do it.  I know that he could make the load that I carry much heavier, but he doesn't.  Why?  Because he loves us as Christ as loves the church and gives Himself for it, even still today.  I see that example in my husband's life and it makes me love him even more.

Knowing how much my husband loves the Lord gives me a security in our marriage that only Christ could provide.  You see, I don't worry about my husband cheating on me or doing something that might betray our family because in order to do that, he would first have to betray his God, and he would never do that.  Just as Jesus loved the Father and would do anything for Him, including becoming human flesh, so my hubby does all that he does because of his love for God, which translates into love for us as well. 

Happy "love your husband" day, honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment