A Typical or Atypical Pastor's Wife-whichever one you come to believe



Welcome to the barnyard. Watch your step! The things written here are raw and unedited. Just my thoughts thrown on a page as they flow from my heart.



Sunday, April 18, 2010

Not Worth Nothin' (Lawn Mower Devotion Series)

Today while driving the thought came to me that I am not worth anything. It wasn't a condemning thought though and I immediately recognized that God was going to tell me something.

The human body is worth about $4.50 in American currency. Yet more value is put on human life than almost any other thing. (It used to be number one until the whales moved ahead on the list!) LOL! So basically our bodies which we spend so much money on and indulge in every way are worthless.

There is also a spiritual truth to be found in this worthlessness. Without God we are not worth anything either. In fact, if we do have any value, it is because someone of value has imparted value to us. True value then is something that is "in us but not of us". I heard so clearly this statement from the Spirit....

You are not valuable, but you are highly valued.
And I immediately recognized that being valued was much more desirable than being valuable.

There is a huge difference between being valuable and being valued.

Something valuable is such due to what is present in it's make up. Gold, silver, precious metals, money, and medications could be considered valuable because of what is present in them. It is their make up that makes them valuable.

On the other hand, anything can be valued, regardless of it's monetary worth or it's makeup. A photograph, a slip of paper containing a sentiment from a loved one, a memento, a souvenir, all of these things could be considered valuable because of the one who values them.

So, value is very often determined by the one doing the valuing and not by what value is actually present intrinsically.

This is the great mystery of the Gospel! This is what causes the angels to wonder -that God took something of no intrinsic value and made it valuable. And He spared no cost or sacrifice to do it. Adam and Eve were valuable until the fall, but at the fall, the human race became intrinsically evil and a stench in the nostrils of God, so much so that we too became eligible for hell, a place God had prepared for fallen angels, not for mankind. Sin is the great separator and it cannot be where God is because God is Holy. And because God chose to value us, even though we were everything He hates, we are now valuable. God imparted what was good into what had formerly been evil, and value was imparted.

The mind blowing thing about this is that it was at great cost that God did this for us, the cost of the life of His only begotten son when we weren't worth nothin'. "While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

This is such a humbling thought and it causes me to stand in awe and wonder at the great heart of God. And it once again shows me that I am what I am purely and solely because God has done it in me. It's not me at all, it's Him in me. I am nothing by myself, but in Him, I am highly valued by God and therefore very valuable.

That God chose to value me will forever remain something that my mind cannot wrap itself around and my heart cannot stop pondering.

"Behold, what manner of love the Father has given unto us. That we should be called the sons of God!" 1 Jn. 4:7-8



2 comments:

  1. wow. i really really like this. puts everything in its right perspective. puts ME in the right perspective. settles the self-esteem issue, too. Only GOD is good... and I am thankful He is in me. thank you for this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog you got here... Just droppin' by to say hi! http://www.arts-and-entertainment.info

    ReplyDelete