A Typical or Atypical Pastor's Wife-whichever one you come to believe



Welcome to the barnyard. Watch your step! The things written here are raw and unedited. Just my thoughts thrown on a page as they flow from my heart.



Saturday, April 3, 2010

The House That Cleans Itself

I recently purchased a book called "The House That Cleans Itself" by Mindy Starns Clark. I haven't read it yet, only skimmed the chapters. It looks a little involved, so it may have to wait until fall.

I'm really hoping though that it will a revolutionary book in my life! I hate to clean--it's futile. Three teenagers and one big, hairy dog in a way-too-small house make keeping anything looking or smelling clean impossible. It takes all the fun and satisfaction out of cleaning unless I can manage to see it completed before one of them clutters it up with schoolwork or video games, or dirty and exceptionally stinky socks! (Man, who'da thunk that testosterone smelled so nauseating?) I'm glad "it's just a stage, it's just a stage." (My mantra since they were toddlers-but it still applies and gets me through many a day!)

Of course, clean is a relative term. Some houses have the 5 second rule where anything that falls can be retrieved and ingested if ingested in less than 5 seconds from the time it hits the floor. There are days when that rule can apply at our house, but not right now. The dog is shedding terribly and it would be impossible to blow all the dog hair off in less than 5 seconds.

I've always been of the opinion that a little dirt makes a house look lived in, therefore qualifying it as a "home." But I have to admit, all too often we cross over the "home" line into the arena of "Barns of America".

With spring springing into full bloom, my busy days are going to multiply exponentially. So my version of "The House That Cleans Itself--Creative solutions for a clean and orderly house...in less time than you can imagine" will kick in.

I do have a cleaning system that keeps my house relatively clean." It's called teenager#1, teenager#2 and teenager#3! LOL! I get up, make a list, go to work, come home and voila! My house is clean, the laundry is done, supper is started and dog is brushed. It seems to me that the house cleaned itself. I just wish that I could think of these things before they get into book form so that I could write a best seller and never have to clean again.

Oh, well! I guess since this title is already taken, maybe I could work on something like "The Grocery Bag that unloads and puts it's contents away, in less time than you could imagine", or "The Exercise machine that does all the work for you and still burns your calories, in less time than you could imagine", or The software that automatically does all your business paperwork for you in less time than you could imagine"! Speaking of which, I really need to get back to getting my taxes ready for my accountant appointment! Enough silliness already!

I just needed a break!

2 comments:

  1. let me know if the book is true and I will buy one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what helps me have a clean house, even having four boys. Company. Why else would I want to clean under the washing machine, behind the cabinets, and even wash windows? Except for mom in law, I wonder if they even notice. Haha!

    We had a minister, his wife and two of their sons overnight Friday. Now my spring and cleaning is done!
    Oh and you know another thing about company... that is when something of importance breaks. Like a toilet, for example. It just HAD to start leaking...

    ReplyDelete