A Typical or Atypical Pastor's Wife-whichever one you come to believe



Welcome to the barnyard. Watch your step! The things written here are raw and unedited. Just my thoughts thrown on a page as they flow from my heart.



Friday, January 1, 2010

Thanksgiving 2009




Thanksgiving was not traditional in many ways this year. I was restricted from the kitchen because of pneumonia. The doctor had made me stand on my head and swear that I would not cook a big dinner on Thanksgiving day and I was bound to keep my promise or I would have been lying. And frankly, after having pneumonia, I really wasn't in the mood to do it anyway.


So this very cute couple stepped in to help!






It all started with a big bottle of Tones Cinnamon,



eggs, flour, apples, butter and some homegrown pumpkin from our good friend Abbie.




And this is how it ended up...before baking! Pretty good for a first try, don't you think? She was proud of herself, but not as proud as I was of her!




Of course, there is the dilemma of what to do with the leftover pie dough! So this is what we came up with. Meanwhile the chef was peeling eggs....and peeling and peeling and peeling. I told him to use the ones that had been in the frig for awhile!












Next morning we woke bright and early to watch the parade on t.v. I hadn't seen a parade in years because by then, I'm always knee deep in fixin's.




While awaiting lunch, the boys engaged in an in depth conversation about the digestive system of turkeys.




As you can see, you're not the only one finding the information a bit far fetched!




Even Calypso was enthralled with his story.....uh...no, I think she's enthralled with that homemade dinner roll.



Have I mentioned Calypso before? LOL! She is the infamous deviled egg thief. Last year, while the whole family was sitting around the table, I noticed a long, pink tongue slip out from under the table and skillfully wrap itself around the egg closest to the edge of the plate and zippp! The egg was gone without a trace! It was our secret. I didn't want anyone at the table to know that some of their eggs were ABL (already been licked) eggs.

Anyway, after the turkey anatomy lesson, it was time for a do-nut.


Finally, lunch was ready and what a feast it was, although all we could think about were the pieces of the turkey's digestive system that had found it's way into the gravy. So, that's why it's called giblet gravy.

Still, dinner was a great hit! Thank you Brian and Katie for your labor of love!
After dinner there were some Christmas lists being written. "Uh, Mom, how do you spell sprawling country estate?"



And others were busy window shopping, a sancified term for coveting. At our house, we just say it like it is!


And there was some gun cleaning and adjusting. What's a holiday without guns?
And yes, my living room really is that awful shade of green, but hopefully for not too much longer.
I have so much to be thankful for!





















































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment