A Typical or Atypical Pastor's Wife-whichever one you come to believe



Welcome to the barnyard. Watch your step! The things written here are raw and unedited. Just my thoughts thrown on a page as they flow from my heart.



Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Warning! Twilight Comes Before Darkness!

Why get involved in the "Twilight" controversy?



Really I don't know! Usually I keep my mouth shut about such things, except with my own kids, of but I find this serious enough to join the choir! Our youth Pastor has pleaded. Our Pastor has pleaded, but still I read and hear excited chatter about it from youth that I care about. I can't make them listen. I can't chain them to their beds to keep them away from the bookstore, the movie theatre or the the internet, but I would like to. I don't know what else it will take to get through to this young generation who think those older, wiser and more spiritually mature are full of bunk, but because I love them, I'm sticking my neck out here.




For me, just the name "Twilight" is a big, red warning flag.




Twilight is the time between sunset and dark - the sun is just below the horizon. Twilight is "1. the diffused light from the sky during the early evening when the sun is below the horizon and its light is refracted by the earth's atmosphere; 2. The time of the day when the sun is just below the horizon, especially the period between sunset and dark; 3. Dim or diffused illumination; 4. A state of ambiguity or obscurity."





In physics, refraction is the change of direction of a ray of light, sound, heat, or the like, in passing obliquely from one medium into another in which its wave velocity is different. In Opthamology, refraction determines the ability of the eye to diffuse light that enters it so as to form an image on the retina.



Twilight brings a dimming of light. Dimming means "not bright; obscure from lack of light or emitted light. It means not seen clearly or in detail, indistinct, not clear to the mind; vague; not billiant, dull, not clear or distinct to the senses, not clearly seen."



In "Twilight", you cannot see clearly or discern what you see!



IN SHORT, TWILIGHT IS A TIME JUST BEFORE DARKNESS WHERE YOUR VISION AND PERCEPTIONS ARE HINDERED!



Herein lies the reason why the series "Twilight" is so aptly named. First of all, it is just "dark". Tell me, what is edifying about it? How does it add to your Christian experience? Nothing you do is harmless! Every action you perform, every show you watch, every minute of time you spend is strenghthening one area of your life, either your spiritual life or your carnal life. Tell me, honestly, does this strengthen you spiritually? Or does it arouse passions in you that are not Godly? Does it create in you yearnings that are not reality forming expectations of love and relationships that will hinder and destroy real future relationships? Does it cause you to think on the glories of Christ?



It's not a new concept. When I was growing up, this whole story was played out in a soap opera called "Dark Shadows" that centered around the love of a vampire for a human being. Even as a sinner, it creeped me out, but as a Christian my discerner is off the charts! Why are the youth of Christiandom so blind to this???? Where is their discernment?




During evening twilight, there is a lack of vision. Things are not seen clearly because there is not enough light on them to see them for what they really are.



One beautiful twilight, I took a walk in the country with a friend. On the horizon, we saw the sillouette of a large dog. As we walked on, the dog seemed to be walking towards us and we were walking towards it. As we watched the dog, he happened to walk under a pole light and we realized that he was not a dog at all, but a big, black bear! Fortunately we realized this in time to turn around and head for home without being harmed.



Youth! Twilight is not a harmless, fictional tale! What it is is what 1 Timothy refers to as a "fable".


1 Tim. 1:4 (KJV) Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.


2 Tim. 4:4 (KJV)
And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.



What is a fable? A fable is "anything delivered by word of mouth; legendary tales, as opposed to historical account; a fable; foolish or improbable story (1 Tim. 1:4; 1 Tim. 4:7; 2 Tim. 4:4; Titus 1:14; 2 Peter 1:16)." Read the verse! Fables turn you away from the truth!!!!




Are you fleeing fables by joining in this hype? Have you stopped to ask yourself why Twilight, which you have been warned against by all your spiritual leadership, appeals so much to you? Come into the light! It's time for some serious reflection and some clear refraction! Please tell me why you are ignoring these warnings and going your own way? Do you think that adults have never dealt with these same kinds of things? Do you think that your generation is special in some way? I tell you the truth! "There is nothing new under the sun!" History truly does repeat itself. And you are headed for the same pit as many others throughout history have fallen into. It is every spiritual adult's heart to teach those younger by helping them not make the same mistakes that we made, to impart wisdom and warning so that when you reach the age that we are now, you will be light years, spiritually speaking, ahead of where we are. But in order for that to happen, spiritual advice must be heeded. This isn't one person's opinion. There is a firestorm of warning coming from every corner of true Christianity!




If you are into "Twilight", I tell you that darkness is ahead! Twilight will not bring you into more light! It will only make the light you do have more obscure!

We all say that we believe that we are living in the last days, but let me ask you something. Are you living like you are living in the last days when there will be an increase in the "doctrines of demons?" This is that. Entertaining the ideas presented in "Twilight" will only serve to dull your senses, and make demonic ideas more palatable. It is dangerous!!!! Can I say it enough??? Having had friends who came out of occult into Christianity, one who was a practicing witch, I can tell you that this is not a benign, fantasy love story. There is a subtle evil resident in it. You can "Christianize" it all you want, but it won't make it Christian any more than me wearing a tiara and calling myself Diana will make me a princess.

I'm pleading here! Are you listening?

4 comments:

  1. amen...what fellowship hath light with darkness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our pastor just preached on exactly this. Thanks so much for putting it out there. I posted it to our FaceBook. There was one young girl who went home from youth group on Wednesday and threw out all her Twilight, etc. stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear John and Perla, thanks for the input!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME POST! Would you mind if I post a link on my site to this article? I really feel that some of my readers need to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete