A Typical or Atypical Pastor's Wife-whichever one you come to believe



Welcome to the barnyard. Watch your step! The things written here are raw and unedited. Just my thoughts thrown on a page as they flow from my heart.



Monday, November 9, 2009

Lawnmower Devotions-Our Brightest Moments

The leaves of fall were beautiful this year!




The colors were so brilliant.




The leaves were so plentiful.






Driving down tree lined streets was a lesson in beauty, and it seemed, that if I listened really closely, the leaves almost seemed to sing as the sun exposed their brilliant color.



Each leaf's color gradually migrated from green to a sunny yellow, pumpkin orange, or robust red.

It was a thing of beauty!
And then, in the midst of my ecstacy I realized something. These leaves were dying! In fact, they were in the very last stages of life, right on the edge of life and death. Within a week, they would drop to the ground, turn an ugly, crunchy brown color, and become next year's compost. How could something so beautiful and vibrant be so close to death?
"Cast me not off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength faileth." Ps. 71:9
"They shall bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing." Ps. 92:14


I'm about to enter into my last season of life. Soon I, like the leaf will stop producing. I won't produce children, I won't produce as much money, my available energy for production will also lessen.
Lord, grant this, my desire.


When people observe me in those last stages of life, let the color of my life be as brilliant, as vibrant, and as loud as those leaves.
Let the lifetime I spent basking in the Son of God resonate with as much brilliance and beauty as the leaves of fall.
May the fruit of my old age be an abundance of the life of God to all who observe it.
And may the residue of my life, after I am gone, be like an aromatic oil and a sweet, sweet song to those I leave behind.



1 comment: