A Typical or Atypical Pastor's Wife-whichever one you come to believe



Welcome to the barnyard. Watch your step! The things written here are raw and unedited. Just my thoughts thrown on a page as they flow from my heart.



Wednesday, February 11, 2009

49 Years Strong and Gaining Ground!

Today is my hubby's 49th birthday! He has been the subject of much abuse in the last week as he approaches the dreaded 50th! To some, it would seem that this is his last year of real living. They must not know the man I married nearly 27 years ago.

So today, in honor of his birthday I want to tell you why I love him so!

1. He is a Godly man. I mean, HE IS GODLY! I have not heard him raise his voice in anger in....well, I can't remember the last time.

2. He is a rock. No matter what is going on around him, he is solid. The winds can blow, the waves can crash down, the water can be smooth as glass and he is always the same. He rarely complains about anything. He rarely speaks of discouragement even though I know there has been much along the way. He never gives up and never gives in to anything less than what He knows to be the will of God.

3. He puts up with me and loves me in spite of myself! I was not always the fun loving, easy goin person I am today. In fact, I was a dysfunctional mess for many, many years of our marriage. In fact that dysfunction almost caused divorce after just one year of marriage. He was miserable. I was on Valium. But God.......ah, yes, the great marriage counselor! Even after salvation, it took the Lord a long time to get me straightened out. It's still an ongoing process, but through it all my husband has remained completely loyal, completely faithful, and completely loving!

4. He ALWAYS tells the truth! Even concerning minor issues like "is this as good as what your Mom cooks? Does this look good on me? Do you like my hair this way?" He loves me enough to ALWAYS tell the truth

5. He's funny! There has never been a time when he has failed to make me laugh. Even while sitting in a hospital with 3 of our four kids in ICU, he found a way to make me smile. He takes life as it comes and when it comes hard, he laughs in it's face and defies it.

6. He is wise. When I see something wrong, I run to fix it because I just can't stand when things aren't exactly right. He, on the other hand, stands back, examines, observes, PRAYS for God's wisdom, and then acts.....sometimes. He always seems to know the right thing to say or not say and the right thing to do, in the perfect time!

7. He is humble. Even after preaching weekly for nearly 25 years, he knows that unless the Lord puts words in his mouth, he cannot preach on his own. And he will not! If the Lord didn't give him anything, he would just say so and send us home.

8. He's a great husband! According to every personality test we have ever taken, we should just grate on each other. Our personalities are the type that never get along, yet we get along famously. It's almost scary! We finish each other's thoughts and sentences. We even know what the other one wants to order at a restaurant before we order. It's uncanny. He sneaks me out to Barnes and Noble for cheesecake at least once every two weeks, or through the drive thru at McDonalds for pie and ice cream, or to Sheetz for a cup of my favorite cuppocino! Chalk it up to time, or fate, or a miracle! But I think it all goes back to the "godly" part. I know he loves me like Christ loved the church. It could only be the love of God that has glued us together so tightly.

9. He's a great Dad! My girls have him wrapped around their little finger, but just one stern look from him sends them surfing in an ocean of tears. They love him so much! Our boys are his constant companions at hunting stores, sporting events, and of course, the ice cream shop! He is taking time to guide them into manhood, including those more nasty aspects of manhood, like burping contests, talks and demonstrations of bodily functions, and food mutilating contests at the dinner table. But when it really counts, they follow his lead and do the right thing. He's teaching them to not take life quite as seriously as I do, but yet to be serious about life.

10) He works hard and never complains! He works three jobs! Crazy, I know, but he has done it for years and rarely complains. He accepts where God has put him and does all he can to be a witness to those around him. He isn't picky either. For example, after nearly 25 years of eating biscuits on a regular basis, in one of his "honest" moments and in response to my inquiry of his opinion of my newest biscuit recipe said, "well, I'm not really a biscuit person!" What!?????? He ate them for 25 years and never said a word!

11) He's handsome! And that's all I'm going to say about that except that sometimes it's hard for me to concentrate on Sunday morning when he's all dressed up!

12) He's genuine! What you see is what you get with him. There's no pretense, no theater, no acting. He's just him, no matter where we are or who we're with. I often say, "he's the genuine article,-- a real man."

So happy birthday honey! Even though you won't read this blog! You hardly know how to work the computer! That just goes to show how smart you really are! You're in bed getting much needed rest and I'm down here blogging!

1 comment:

  1. Yay - that's a great post! We should all do this for our sweeties every once in a while!!

    Blessings,
    ~ Sweet Mummy
    It's OK to be WEIRD!

    ReplyDelete