A Typical or Atypical Pastor's Wife-whichever one you come to believe



Welcome to the barnyard. Watch your step! The things written here are raw and unedited. Just my thoughts thrown on a page as they flow from my heart.



Sunday, January 4, 2009

I Am So Tickled!

For years I have been saving for a new camera. I have a wonderful Canon Rebel SLR 35mm camera. It takes great pictures. Problem is, film developing is not cheap. Furthermore, according to my brother in law, "you have to take a lot of photos to get just one good one". He should know. He probably took the photos that are on the Dole fruit cans in your cupboard.

So, I decided to start saving for a Canon dSLR. Every week I would try to put a few dollars in my "moldy money box", as my husband calls it. But as my balance increased, so did the megapixals on the cameras, along with the price.

As hard as I worked and scrimped and saved, it always seemed that something would come up through the year that would require a little of my hard earned savings like: money for camp; clothes for 3 teens to attend the in laws 50th wedding anniversary party; tennis shoes blowouts; bats, spikes, pants and socks for baseball; birthday presents for parties; unexpected outings with friends that were too good to miss; and the list goes on and on.

As I counted my money this year, I sighed and realized that my weekly savings was going to have to increase in order to buy a camera. So I didn't even put it on my Christmas list this year, even in the slot reserved for one just plain, all out, ridiculous request. This year "Escalade" occupied that spot.

The reason I hesitated to put it on my list was because it would be another reminder to my hard working husband that there was something else we couldn't afford. We have chosen to live on a shoestring budget for the next couple of years to get out of debt, so the Christmas budget is very sparse, much like the level of Christmas spirit in Scrooge's office. We had also decided to buy our sons each a rifle for Christmas because they are just at that turning into men stage and we felt that they were ready to learn some life lessons about being responsible in potentially dangerous situations. Plus, they are needing more Father/Son time because I can't teach them how to be men, and we figured that going to the shooting range with a shotgun that could kick them into last week wouldn't be much fun and counterproductive to whole moving forward into manhood plan. Even with my husband's pistol, someone would always be relegated to the position of observer.

Well, Christmas morning came and a small, square gift was placed on my lap. Ahhh, I thought, I know what this is! I had put a hand sander on my Christmas list so that I could do a few projects around the house. When I unwrapped the box, it said, Canon starter kit, and I thought to myself, hmmmmm, I've never heard of this brand of tool. And then it hit me.........HE BOUGHT ME THAT CAMERA!! I sat, stunned and without words, which is something that NEVER happens. I ALWAYS have something to say. All I could say all morning was "I can't believe you bought me that camera!"

And I love it! I have had more fun taking photos this last couple of days than I can remember having in a very long time. And as soon as I get the software loaded and figure everything out, I'll share some with you.

I got great action shots of my kids playing football with their uncle, of the boys shooting their 22's for the first time, of my sister in laws look of sheer exileration after shooting off 8 rounds in succession with my husbands 9mm, of my youngest on a pogo stick complete with rib scratching technique and a full dismount. That crazy camera shoots three photos per second, so I can catch the whole thing one frame at a time! It's amazing!

My hubby made some crack about not paying me all year for all the yards I do for him while he drives a bus, so he thought he'd pay me all at once. But I know that he had to save long and dig deep to buy me this camera and it makes me love him even more, if that is even possible, because I am head over heels, spring cow crazy for him.

It was another reminder to me of the lengths that love will go to display itself to another. And isn't that what Christmas is all about? When God went to extreme lengths to prove His love for the world by sending His Son on a death mission for the sake of our souls? God couldn't have dug any deeper than the day He announced His plan to save the world and His only Son said, "I'll go." What a sacrifice!

Just as the realization of the extraordinary lengths my husband went to in order to buy me that camera made me love him even more, so too, does the realization of what God did in His great plan of sending His Son, Jesus, to the world, cause me to love Christ even more.














1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! Congratulations on the new camera, and the story with it!!

    Emi

    ReplyDelete