A Typical or Atypical Pastor's Wife-whichever one you come to believe



Welcome to the barnyard. Watch your step! The things written here are raw and unedited. Just my thoughts thrown on a page as they flow from my heart.



Friday, October 24, 2008

7 Days of Pastor Appreciation for my Pastor's Wives Friends-Day 2

Here's another one I remembered! (Isn't the ministry just too entertaining?)

My husband, brother in law, and sister in law go to Africa every year. They buy new clothes before they go, and then leave what they bought there for the Pastors and their wives. In Africa, if you are what we would consider chubby or overweight, that is a good thing because it means that your husband is a good provider. This year, as they were leaving, a dear Pastor ran up to my sister in law, who is very self conscious about her weight and thanked her again and again for the clothes that she left. "They will fit my wife perfectly.....she's fat!......just like you!" My SIL was a little taken aback, but my BIL kept whispering under her breath, "it's a compliment, it's a compliment." As is her MO, my sister in law was gracious, smiled and thanked the sincere Pastor for his nice "compliment."

I too have stuck my foot in my mouth from time to time. A young couple visited our church one Sunday. The wife was also very overweight. I invited them home after church to have some lunch and in the course of conversation while preparing the food, this dear woman mentioned that she was pregnant. ‘Oh, I said, that is wonderful. I didn’t know you were pregnant. When are you due?” Her reply—“next week!” They all had chicken for lunch, but I had crow!

3 comments:

  1. LOL that is funny!!

    When I was pregnant with Abi a one of the elders at church(whom we saw weekly) said AFTER Abi was born he didn't even know I was pregnant, must've thought I was just fat all that time too. Go figure!

    Emi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cross-cultural compliments are sometimes hard to take! LOL!

    About the pregnant woman, I don't know which is worse - seeing someone a bit overweight and asking her when she's due only to find out that she's NOT pregnant... or what happened in your case... either way, it's embarassing. (But a bit funny to look back on!)

    ReplyDelete