A Typical or Atypical Pastor's Wife-whichever one you come to believe



Welcome to the barnyard. Watch your step! The things written here are raw and unedited. Just my thoughts thrown on a page as they flow from my heart.



Thursday, August 28, 2008

What a Day!

We conquered a bear (twice), ran with the storm, endured 97 degrees Fahrenheit, and then got bit by a sidewinder!

We spent the day, or most of it, at an amusement park.  It was the only vacation day we have had all year.


So since the Lord has chosen to dry things up around here, we had another opportunity to take a day off and do something fun together. Daughter #2 and I both LOVE roller coasters! Turns out my two sons are wild men as well now that they are officially jolly ranchers on the height stick at the park!

I gradually worked them up through the 11 roller coasters from the smallest to the scariest, figuring that at some point I would lose son #1--the Dramamine King, but every one they rode was "the best one we've rode yet!" Even my hubby rode a couple, which is very uncharacteristic of him. In years past, it used to be that the guys would ride weeny rides while the girls ran off to tackle the scarey stuff. I guess riding that log flume 15 times in a row, by yourself, would get a little boring after awhile.

The day went along very well except for the price of the very expensive lunch that my hubby and I are still choking on! Talk about getting the wind knocked out of you! We're still counting how many yards we had to mow to pay for that one!

We managed to get most of the roller coasters in and while I took a much deserved rest, (I'm not as young as I used to be, you know) the boys ran off to ride the sidewinder one last time. For those of you who don't know, a sidewinder is a sly, ugly rattlesnake.  Just as hubby and I were settling in on the park bench to wait on the boys, here they came! Surely they didn't ride it that fast! Then I saw it, blood----and lots of it----dripping from the hand of son #2. He got bit by the sidewinder!

Now we have a history in this town. They not only have the amusement park, and famous ice cream, they also have a Medical Center. I lived there for 2 solid months about 9 years ago. It was a family affair. I had cancer surgery while 3 of my little ones recovered from a near fatal car accident. So, needless to say, going to Hershey always leaves me with mixed emotions because of all the memories, good and bad, that I have.

Unfortunately, my son had scratched his hand on a rusty nail protruding from the hand rail on the ramp leading to the coaster. Yep, a way down deep cut and over half an inch long--3 stitches and a tetanus shot size! So we got the privilege of riding a ride at the park that only one other person was privilege to today--the ambulance ride from the park to the medical center. And considering that it was the only night ride we were going to get, I thought they could have at least turned on the lights!

But I can't complain because after how my Dad's heart has been acting lately, I was a little worried that my inherited DNA might cause my heart to do the same thing on some of those rides, but it didn't. I didn't even scream!

I laughed hysterically twice because daughter #2 screamed much like our old youth Pastor when going down those 97 degree drops--reminiscent of a fog horn on a stormy night! Such a big broad sound for a little thin girl! My only real regret is that I didn't get any chocolate!

So now we are home! Safe and mostly sound, except for the cut, heartburn and a charlie horse. (And that's not bad for how much I was tossed, turned, thrown about, and whipped around while plunging down excruciatingly steep hills, looping through excessively high loop-de-loops, and flying between my seat and a safety harness through corkscrew turns at 100 mph!)

I guess we will decide about calling the chiropractor in the morning---IF we can get out of bed!





1 comment:

  1. Ouch! Sorry to hear about your son's cut, sheesh of all places and times :-( Glad to hear it's taken care of though. I do not like going to the hospital for anything, it does have a tendency to bring up waves of past events. Hope ya'll aren't too achy!

    Emi

    ReplyDelete